6 Qualities to Look for in an HVAC Company
You want to ensure you can trust your HVAC company to deliver exceptional work every time you call on them for help. It’s essential to look for a company that can provide high-quality HVAC services, from installation and repairs to routine maintenance.
Keep reading to learn how to pick the right HVAC company.
In the HVAC industry, experience and knowledge matter much more than price. HVAC installation consists of carpentry, plumbing, metalwork and electrical work. The process is highly technical and can be dangerous unless appropriately handled by qualified technicians. A quality HVAC company employs technicians with various skills, including troubleshooting and mechanical skills.
You’ll want to ensure you hire a company with a long track record of success, since they’ll have a thorough understanding of the correct systems, tools and components needed to get the job done right.
Before calling on an HVAC contractor, ask them questions like:
- How many years of experience does my technician have?
- How long have you been in business?
- How do you keep your techs up to date on technology and product changes?
When looking for an HVAC technician, ensure they are well-versed in a wide range of makes and models and can work on all of them. For instance, a qualified technician should know all there is to know about energy efficiency and how to install the latest energy-efficient models. They should also know how to explain these different models’ cost savings.
2. Good Reputation
The HVAC company you choose must have a stellar reputation. Check various sources, including people you know and trust, plus read online reviews on websites like Yelp, Google or Facebook. Favorable reviews and recommendations indicate the reputation the company has built within your community.
You might also ask for references from your contractor and call these customers to ask whether they would hire the company again for future services. It’s also vital to assure the scope of their work matches your job. Taking the time to ensure your company has a good reputation can go a long way in ensuring you receive high-quality work.
3. A Customer-First Philosophy
Top-notch HVAC companies go the extra mile for their customers. Ensure the company you decide on prioritizes friendly, helpful service and maintaining a loyal customer base. Qualified technicians can explain your repair process in detail, stop by for routine maintenance to ensure your fixes meet current industry standards and respect your home and time while performing services.
4. Licensing, Insurance and Permitting
A reputable contractor will be happy to show you copies of their licensing paperwork when you ask. They should also have proof of insurance and bonding, so always verify this information before hiring HVAC services. A permit ensures a technician will install all equipment safely according to codes and manufacturer specifications.
Look for the following certifications to determine whether your company has the proper expertise to work on your heating and cooling systems.
- State HVAC license: A state license means a member of the company has met all experience and training requirements to provide HVAC services for its customers. The process of earning a state HVAC license is lengthy and selective. In Maryland, most levels of licensure require three to five years of training under professionals depending on the level applicants apply for.
- North American Technician Excellence certification: The contractor you hire should have NATE certification, which demonstrates industry knowledge, professionalism and job efficiency. The NATE certification program has four testing levels to support technician development. In addition to learning service and installation techniques, it includes classes on customer etiquette, electrical circuits and safety procedures.
- HVAC training programs: Continuous education training programs guarantee an HVAC installation’s accuracy and success. Since HVAC equipment is ever-changing, a company should have these programs in place for employees to keep up with changing manufacturing requirements. A system installed over 10 years ago will have a different installation process than one installed today. While certifications are necessary, several differences between equipment types make ongoing education essential for your prospective HVAC company.
5. Fair Pricing
Reputable HVAC companies generally offer fair pricing, though you should only consider price in conjunction with the above factors. While the best technician might charge a little more, remember that you get what you pay for. The most affordable provider could end up costing you more in the long run if they cut corners or do shoddy work. Getting a few estimates to evaluate each company based on these attributes is essential.
Additionally, you should know what to look for in an HVAC quote before choosing a company for your job. Look for matched systems efficiencies, and ask about equipment, labor warranties or rebates and financing. The company you hire may also provide value-adds or guarantee your satisfaction. Look for each of these components when you receive a quote.
6. Emergency Services
A reliable HVAC company will provide several benefits for its customers, from free estimates to 24/7 availability and same-day service for emergency repairs. Even if you don’t need these services immediately, it’s wise to know who provides them in your area if you need them someday.
Whether it’s the peak of summer or the coldest day of the year, any HVAC problem can impact your day. If you notice any functioning issues with your system, it’s essential to have a 24/7 emergency HVAC company to get these issues fixed right away. That way, you can avoid extensive or costly repairs later on. A reputable HVAC contractor will provide the solutions you need on your schedule.
Top-Quality HVAC Services in the Maryland and D.C. Area
A reputable HVAC company is essential for maintaining the safety and comfort of your home. That’s why it’s critical to understand the qualities to look for in a good HVAC company. Whether you need routine maintenance, repairs or other services, you should get them at a great rate that ensures exceptional, long-lasting results.
For over 20 years, Metro Services HVAC has provided exceptional services to get the job done right the first time. Our highly trained technicians provide excellent customer outreach, repairs, maintenance and 24/7 HVAC services to ensure your comfort all year long.
To schedule HVAC services, contact us today.